In this episode, I talk with Shasta Nelson, M.Div., a leading expert on friendship. Her spirited and soulful voice for strong female relationships can be found in her books Frientimacy: How to Deepen Friendships for Lifelong Health and Happiness and Friendships Don’t Just Happen! The Guide to Creating a Meaningful Circle of GirlFriends. She is the Founder of GirlFriendCircles.com.
She also writes at ShastasFriendshipBlog.com and in the Huffington Post, speaks across the country, and is a frequent contributor to the media appearing on TV shows such as Katie Couric and The Today Show, and in countless magazines and newspapers including The New York Times, Good Housekeeping, Health, and Forbes.
We chat about:
- Why having great friendships matter now than ever before
- The best ways you can deepen a friendship
- When to know a friendship no longer serves you
Tune in and listen to these takeaways you don’t want to miss:
- [4:31] How social media plays a role in our friendships – it’s not what you may think
- [6:17] How most people rated the depth and closeness of their friendships – the results shocked me!
- [7:41] How you find out how close your friendships are
- [9:47] Three key ways to deepen friendships
- [13:23] The #1 thing the vast majority of us need to work on in our friendships
- [14:57] How being the strong, outgoing friend can end up making you lonely
- [16:05] When to walk away from a friendship
- [21:35] How to make friends as an adult
- [25:24] How to get over the feeling of rejection when you’re forging new friendships
- [32:02] How Shasta’s intuition has helped her with more than just making decisions
- [33:39] Shasta’s #1 piece of advice for deepening your friendships