How to Know If You Are Really Gluten Sensitive (It’s Likely Not What You’ve Been Told)

An estimated 30% of the population has a gluten sensitivity. Could you be one of them? The symptoms differ from person to person and are far-ranging, affecting your brain, skin, gastrointestinal tract, muscles and hormones. You can experience headaches, brain fog, bloating, gas and stomach pain just to name a few of the most common signs.

 

Personally, I struggled to understand if this has affected me. Sometimes eating pizza or splurging on a cookie once in a while would leave me feeling groggy, lightheaded, dizzy and irritable – telltale signs of a gluten sensitivity, but not always.

 

It was hard to pinpoint if I was reacting to the wheat or something else like lack of sleep, too much coffee or even the pesticides, molds or mycotoxins found in grains. Doing an elimination diet didn’t help me determine this either.

 

And it wasn’t something I wanted to give up right away either. I didn’t eat a lot of gluten that typically comes from sources like wheat, barley, and rye, but, sometimes, I wanted to splurge on a cookie, slice of pizza or croissant. 80% of the time I ate healthy the other 20% was reserved for a so-called cheat meal or treat, which meant having something like pizza once a week. How could I give up pizza – my all-time favorite food? No way. It was too hard.

 

Yet, I had a feeling that something was off, despite it not being clear if it was gluten or not. I went through multiple tests, including a genetic test for gluten sensitivity. According to Dr. Peter Osborne, author of “No Grain, No Pain”, the best way to find out if you are truly gluten sensitive is genetic testing, not a trial diet. If you have the genes for it, you have it no question.

 

My results shocked me. I found out that my immune system is very low, I have serious mineral deficiencies and major gut dysbiosis. The greatest discovery was that I have been gluten sensitive from the womb. I have the gene for gluten sensitivity.

 

Deep down a part of me didn’t want to be gluten sensitive. I wanted to eat on my terms. I was in denial and defiant, feeling like I could take on anything, even if that meant eating gluten. How bad could it be?

 

But I thought about all these years my poor body had been under attack by gluten.

Gluten was at the root of my health issues.

 

My body was setting its own terms. I needed to listen to those terms and not what my brain was telling me I wanted.

 

I love and respect my body. I need to nourish it by giving it what it needs. That means no more gluten – ever. Not one single morsel.

 

Instead of thinking I can’t have this or that, I focused on what I could have and what I could substitute for wheat and other gluten-containing foods. There are still so many great options that taste so good, like grass-fed steak and roasted sweet potatoes.

 

This mindset shift alone has helped me steer away from gluten. After cutting it out completely, I now feel sharper and calmer.

 

Are you interested in finding if you are gluten sensitive through a genetic test? Most labs only look at one gene for gluten sensitivity when there are more. To find out how to get a solid genetic test done download “6 Wellness Trends You Need To Know Right Nowhere that includes specific resources.

Leave a Comment